Position: Director of Mental Health Services
Department: Mental Health Services
Reports to: Associate Executive Director for Adult Programs
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem.
The Director of Mental Health Services is responsible for overseeing all the operational and program activities of Union Settlement’s Mental Health Services program. Service delivery is achieved through integrated mental health treatment, case management, behavioral assessments, and subsequent development of behavioral support plans. This includes an Article 31 outpatient mental health clinic serving approximately 750 clients and a Children’s Care Management program serving approximately 90 clients, with a combined annual budget of approximately $4.5 million. The Director is a member of the agency’s senior management team and must be a strong, hands-on manager, supervising a staff of approximately 50 individuals.
• Oversee the day-to-day clinical and fiscal operations of Mental Health Services, including the timely submissions of required regulatory reports and licensing credentials.
• Supervise clinical and administrative staff, including consulting with clinical staff on cases when appropriate.
• Work in conjunction with the agency’s Chief Financial Officer to oversee the billing operations of the mental health clinic.
• Ensure compliance with all state and local regulations, including compliance with the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) regulations.
• Review the current business model and developing strategies for the expansion of operations and services; implement changes directed towards improvement of programs.
• Oversee Department involvement in City and State initiatives.
• Oversee changes relating to DSRIP and the transition to Value Based Payments.
• Perform managerial audits to ensure quality assurance and compliance systems in accordance with industry and organizational standards.
• Recruit and hire clinical and administrative staff.
• Define, measure, and evaluate program performance data; implement corrective action and continuous improvement activities.
• Evaluate and implement staff development and in-service programs, monitor schedules, conduct new hire onboarding, and coach towards appropriate performance management activities.
• Receive referrals for service and oversee assignment of cases to clinical staff.
• Facilitate clinical case conferences.
• Oversee the maintenance of the Clinical Policies and Procedures manual.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director.
• Licensed Psychologist or LCSW or t with New York State Licensure.
• Significant management and supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated experience with Article 31 mental health clinics and OMH rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated experience with Article 31 mental health clinic billing procedures and regulations.
• Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with referral sources, local governments, funding sources, families and local communities.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Unquestioned personal and professional integrity with a dedicated work ethic.
• Innovative and analytic problem-solving abilities.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
• An appreciation for the needs of the East Harlem community and the importance of the social service work performed by Union Settlement.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and References to: Jobs@unionsettlement.org
Please indicate Director of Mental Health Services in subject of e-mail.