Volunteer at Union Settlement
Make a difference!
Help us empower East Harlem! Our volunteers enable us to provide programs to the East Harlem community. If you are interested in being a part of something great, please fill out the Volunteer Application Form.
For a full list of opportunities with Union Settlement, please look at our Volunteer Brochure.
Corporate Volunteer Groups
Volunteering as a group gives employees in your organizaiton the opportunity to interact with each other outside of work and meet employees from different departments, all while giving back to the community. Corporate group volunteer projects vary according to the interests of your group.
Volunteers can work in our garden, planting flowers or beautifying our playground; other volunteer groups have held job readiness workshops, others have coordinated and hosted parties for seniors at one of our four Senior Centers. For a full list of possible activities, please refer to the volunteer brochure. We also welcome your suggestions.
Interested in corporate or group volunteer opportunities? Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (646) 672-5082 or email@example.com.
Senior Center Workshops
Do you know how to sew, do yoga, or play an instrument? Why not share that knowledge with at one of our four Senior Centers throughout East Harlem? Volunteer to hold an hour-long workshop any weekday at 9:30 am.
Volunteer Mental Health Summer Camp Counselor
Union Settlement Association seeks high school and college students to assist with a summer camp. The children served are between 5-12 years old, have been diagnosed with ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Anxiety, etc. and are receiving counseling and psychiatric services at our clinic. Students who attend will participate in daily counseling, volunteers will supervise and work with children outside of their sessions during regular summer camp activities.
Responsibilities: The volunteers will plan, coordinate and deliver activities for all children attending Summer Program at PS 146 in East Harlem. Volunteers are expected to make a commitment of at least three days a week, 9am-3pm, from June 30 - August 6.
- Report to and work jointly with the Recreation Coordinator to prepare curriculum and activities.
- Actively participate in the planning, organizing, and coordinating of all recreational activities for the summer program.
- Supervise and closely monitor each child as activities take place.
- Contribute with the assessment of activities and needs of each student’s developmental, social and cognitive level.
- Assists children with their individual needs as indicated (ie: toileting, mobility issues, elevator use, etc)
- Delivers and is involved in, a diversity of physical, social, intellectual, cultural and recreational activities consisting of individual, group and independent activities.
- Plan and coordinate daily activities with other recreational counselors for all students attending Summer Program and ensure safety in for participants.
- Prepare facility (gymnasium, classrooms, etc.) for planned events.
- Ensure facility is maintained and safety procedures are followed.
- Assures all participants are transported to and from activity/clinical/lunch rooms.
- Monitor recreational events as they take place.
- Performs other related duties as necessary
Compensation: Course credit where available, travel stipend
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- A strong understanding of, affection for and a desire to work with children with Special Needs.
- At least two years of experience with the developmentally disabled population preferred but not required.
- The ability to work well with other staff members.
- Be adaptable to change and able to meet crisis and emergencies.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org no phone calls please.
Thank you for being a dedicated volunteer with Union Settlement!
Don’t forget to log your volunteer hours by clicking here.
Union Settlement Association is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
TTY (800) 662-1220 and Voice (800) 421-1220
Union Settlement © 2014 | Web Design by Ironpaper