Many of our programs have fully reopened and we are pleased to welcome staff and participants back to our sites. We have enhanced safety measures and protocols in place to protect all staff and participants. We are conducting temperature checks at all sites, requiring facial coverings, encouraging social distancing and following recommended City, State, and CDC guidelines.
Our ongoing efforts include:
• Our Senior Centers remain closed for indoor activities until further notice.
• Socially distant outdoor activities are being planned for our seniors such as walking groups, bingo, and art classes.
• We are providing over 500 home-delivered meals every day to homebound seniors through our Meals on Wheels program.
Mental Health Counseling:
• The anxiety and stress caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and rampant job losses have greatly increased the need for mental health services. Our licensed outpatient mental health clinic is remotely providing individual, family, couples and group therapy, crisis intervention, psychiatric evaluation, medication management, case management and other services.
Early Childhood Education:
• Our Early Childhood Education centers are fully open with safety protocols in place. To learn about enrollment, visit: https://unionsettlement.org/early-childhood/
• Union Settlement is providing free youth summer camps for children ages 5 to 12 in July and August.
• Our free day camp programs provide a safe and educational environment for hundreds of East Harlem children each year, and this year is no different. This summer’s camp theme, “Around the World in 40 Days,” is sure to be an adventurous one!
Teen Expansion Program:
• In partnership with NYCHA, Union Settlement will host a Summer Teen Enrichment program beginning July 12 through August 30, 2021, to keep adolescents and young adults ages 13 to 24 engaged in meaningful and fun youth development activities in a safe space. The program expects to serve a minimum of 40 adolescents and young adults at three locations; Washington Houses Community Center, Jefferson Community Center, and Gaylord White Community Center. The program will operate from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM Monday through Friday and from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call Jesteena Walters at (929) 538-5243 or Christopher Solano at (929) 543-8158
• Our Adult Education classes are beginning in-person classes with safety protocols in place. Beginning July 19, ESOL classes will be held over a 6-week period. For more information email: email@example.com or call: (212) 828-6017.
• Council Member Diana Ayala, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, Union Settlement's Business Development Center, and the NYC Economic Development Corporation, are launching a second opportunity for emergency financial aid specifically directed towards East Harlem's small businesses negatively impacted by COVID-19. The East Harlem Small Business Grant program is now accepting applications for businesses who did not apply for funding during the initial round. Interested businesses must apply by August 20, 2021.
• We are continuing to gather also gathering information from small businesses about their needs, which we are using to advocate for additional assistance.
Please watch this site for further updates and information.